Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Healthy Snacks to Take on the Go


On Tuesdays this semester, I am at school from 8:30am until 6:45pm. This is by far my longest day of the week, and in order to stay alert in class I keep several essential snacks with me to munch on throughout the day. These snacks are easy to keep with you (I store them in an insulated lunch bag) and do not require any major preparation.

  1. Almonds. Keeping a small sandwich bag full of almonds in my bag is not just something I do for long days at school. I keep almonds with me almost at all times, they are one of the best snacks for fighting hunger, and they are absolutely delicious. However, beware of salted and seasoned varieties as these can add unnecessary sodium to your snack.
  2. Popcorn. I also take a larger sandwich bag with popcorn in it to school with me. This snack is high in fiber and is very filling. It is another snack that is easy to take with you and keep in your purse or lunch bag at work or school.
  3. Greek Yogurt. This snack can be a bit more logistically difficult if you do not have the means to keep it cool throughout the day. I store mine with a freezer pack in my lunchbag and it stays at a nice temperature until I'm ready for it. I either buy the single serving yogurt or I spoon some from a larger container into a piece of tupperware.
  4. Bananas. The ultimate to-go snack! They already come in their own container, ready to eat. The sweetness of the fruit gives me the energy burst I need and the fiber is what makes it such a filling treat.
  5. Carrots and Cucumbers. I put these two together because when I cut them up I store them in one container and eat them as one snack. What makes these an ideal snack to get you through the day is that they have so much water in them that they are more filling than you may realize.
  6. Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups. I usually put one or two of these in my bag as a little treat when it is getting to the end of my long day. The sweet and salty combination feels so good after nine hours of class!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More