Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fighting Sugar Cravings



I crave sweets pretty much every day so around holidays such as Valentine's Day, when eating sweets is pretty much expected, I can have a hard time saying no. When a piece of chocolate is within arms reach, I generally have to have it so mentally preparing yourself or having tactics in place that will keep you from overindulging can be helpful. Here are some tips and tricks to ward off sugar cravings.

  1. Eat often. Not eating regularly throughout the day will make you ravenous, and this will cause your willpower to go down and before you know it, you'll have eaten something you did not intend to. Eating on a regular schedule throughout the day will keep your blood sugar level and your mind in the right place.
  2. Distract yourself. This one may seem difficult, but I know from experience that if I sit around focusing on a treat I know I shouldn't have, I just end up having it. Whereas if I go for a walk, start some homework, or do another activity I end up forgetting about it altogether.  Most studies say that the fifteen minute mark is when a craving will usually subside, so if you can occupy yourself for a short amount of time, you should be okay.
  3. Brush your teeth or chew gum. Anything that keeps that minty taste in your mouth will keep you from eating. Who wants a cookie after they just brushed their teeth?
  4. Try fruit. Fruit is full of natural sugar that can give the body just the little kick it needs if you're after something sweet. The endorphins we get when we eat a dessert are the same ones that are released when we have fruit. You will also get some fiber with your fruit which will help fight hunger.
  5. Indulge, a little. Being so strict with your diet that you never allow for any treats is unsustainable. Allowing yourself a dessert every now and again is an important component of any healthy lifestyle.
How do you stay away from unwanted sweets? Share your tips and tricks!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

These tips are great - thank you!:)
I've learned that drinking a glass of water helps, too. I try to have a healthy snack with my at all times, and so I never feel left out or discouraged, and it makes saying no much MUCH easier:)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More