Sunday, March 18, 2012

Review: Element Weight Loss Yoga


This yoga DVD is quite different from what I normally incorporate into my routine. In my practice I tend to lean toward the less spiritual, more cardio-based power yoga workouts. Such as this one, which I reviewed earlier. 


It was refreshing to have a more spiritual aspect to the workout. The instructor is Ashley Turner, who is clearly well-educated and knowledgable about what she teaches. Her credentials are clearly laid out for you on the DVD which I thought was a nice touch. Ashley guides you through the workout and often touches on different psychological aspects of fitness and overall health while incorporating a positive mental attitude into your routine. I liked that she also used the traditional yoga names for the poses in addition to using the more familiar terms like "downward dog."


Although the guidance from Ashley is a nice touch to the routine, I can see how this would be irritating after some time. She essentially talks throughout the entire sixty minutes, and after doing the DVD several times I start to wish for a few more nice pauses to focus on holding my pose. 


The routine itself is fairly standard, Ashley uses a vinyasa style yoga with smooth flow between the movements and a lot of upper body strength work. She has a few odd moves thrown in to allow the video to have the "weight-loss" in the title. Do not be fooled, this DVD will burn no more calories then most other yoga workouts. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but when you put the term "weight-loss" in the title of a yoga DVD it is mostly just a marketing technique. 


I feel this workout would be good for beginners as well as more advanced exercisers, Ashley provides modifications to make the moves both easier and more challenging as the routine continues. Overall the workout is a great stretch and I felt mentally recharged after having completed it. However, I would not recommend it as a "weight-loss" tool and more as a complement to the more intense days in your exercise routine.




2 comments:

GildedDiva said...

That's phenomenal I had no idea about this until the moment I read this blog entry of yours here. I also wanted to ask you something considering this blog. Do you happen to know how to protect your ideas from being used without your awareness about it?

Unknown said...

Very informative and well written post! Quite interesting and nice topic chosen for the post Nice Post keep it up.Excellent post.thanks for shearing about this I thinks its very hopeful post and very important post for us.
Yoga for weight loss

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More