Saturday, March 17, 2012

Quick and Easy Post-Workout Snacks


Yesterday I did a post on the best pre-workout snacks to help fuel and energize your routine. Today I'm going to do a write up on some of the best post-workout snacks to help your recovery and to reenergize.

Personally, I don't always eat right away after I exercise. I will usually wait until my next meal time, or if I am feeling a little hungry I'll grab a light snack. But I also tend to time my workouts so that they do fall right before I would normally eat anyway, so I tend to gear that meal toward replenishing my body and speeding up muscle recovery. Eating after a workout is actually one of the most beneficial times to fuel your body because the calories are going toward rebuilding muscle and recovery instead of into fat storage.

A post workout snack should have a combination of carbohydrates and protein, with the emphasis on protein for rebuilding muscles. Here are a few quick and simple to make snack options.

  1. A protein shake using fruits, almond milk, and a scoop of protein powder
  2. A few hard boiled eggs with a bit of mustard
  3. Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola
  4. A whole wheat bagel or english muffin with nut butter
  5. A 1/4 cup of almonds
  6. Tuna with lemon juice spread on whole wheat crackers or bread
  7. Peanut butter mixed up with a banana
  8. Cottage cheese on an english muffin, similar to this recipe.
I could always use more snack ideas, if you have any share them in the comments!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. I have been researching on many different ways that I can speed up my muscle recovery after a workout. I will definitely follow your advice in doing so.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More