Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Benefits of Having a To-Do List


I am a big fan of keeping a to-do list. It is a great way to stay on track on a daily basis without being too crazy or fumbling around trying to remember everything that you have left to finish by the end of the day. For some people, creating a to-do list is the last thing they would want to carry around with them. But I'm going to provide a few easy ways to make your list less stressful, and more of a motivator then a constant reminder of your busy schedule.
  1. Reduce your stress. Actually writing down a list of the things you need to accomplish can make the tasks seem less daunting then if you are just allowing them to float around in your mind all day. Having an organized list of what you need to do can help you relax and not stress out about it because you know you're less likely to forget everything that needs to be done.
  2. Prioritize. A list allows you to organize and reorganize based on what needs to be done first or what can be put off a little bit if things become too hectic throughout the day. Keeping your most important tasks at the top of the list, or written in a more bright color can help you focus on what is essential to your day before getting to the less important tasks. 
  3. Write down small things. This is something that I always do on my lists. I make sure to write down little things that I would do without thinking about but then I can still have them on my list. Things such as painting my nails, cutting up my veggies, or reading a chapter in my book are all often found on my to-do list. These help to fill out all the larger tasks and give me a good sense of accomplishment when I see that I can cross them off.
  4. Physically cross it off. Speaking of crossing things off your list, being able to physically draw a line through an item is good for you mentally. I know that when I've finished an item on my list, I feel really great when I get to go and cross it off. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. Whereas if you are just slogging away at your day-to-day tasks, you may forget how much work you actually do in your day. Having a physical representation of that work is a good way to reflect and feel good about yourself.
Do you keep a to-do list?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More