Sunday, May 6, 2012

Late Night Snacks to Avoid


I know that I always enjoy having a little snack before bed. Lately I've been trying to curb that habit by eating a few hours ahead of the time I actually have to go to sleep. But occasionally, I'm still going to want a little late night snack before I curl up in my bed. Some snacks are going to be better then others as something to have right before your body goes into a restful sleep state. Here are a few food groups to avoid as your late night snack.

  1. High-carb foods. A high carbohydrate snack like a bagel or crackers will cause a rapid spike in your blood sugar because of the quick release of energy the carbohydrates provide. This energy spike will make it difficult for you to fall asleep shortly after eating.
  2. Greasy food. Avoiding late night fast foods or other greasy options is important because these greasy, mostly fatty foods take a long time for your body to properly digest. Thus your body is going to have to work in overdrive all night to digest these foods, and this can keep you tossing and turning. 
  3. Sugary treats. This is a personal late night favorite of mine, and I've been working on getting better about having my sugar fix earlier in the day. The sugar works much like  a high carb snack because it will spike your blood sugar and give you a burst of energy which can keep you from getting to bed. Avoiding all the sugary treats like ice cream, cookies, and cakes will keep you from being restless in bed.
  4. Red meat. This one was surprising to me because it seemed a little out of step with the others, but when I actually looked into the reasoning behind it, the thought made a lot of sense. Red meat is one of the foods that takes the body the longest to digest. So when you eat red meat right before bed it will essentially sit in your stomach most of the night because it takes a lot of energy for your body to work to digest it.
What are your healthy late night snacks?

1 comments:

Neil Shaffer said...

Hi,

I hope this message finds you well,

My name is Neil; I'm the affiliate manager @ BinaryOffers.com
I saw that you are promoting few interesting offers,
So I'd like to take this opportunity and invite you to join us.

We offer an Extremely high commissions and the best service online.

I'll be more than happy to start working with you and introduce to you few of our offers
You can send me an email or add me to your Skype (aff.binaryoffers) so we can discuss

All the best my friend,
Neil
Neil@binaryoffers.org

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More